- Organizing Regional Training Course on “Protection of Shared Aquifer Resources”, 24-28 March 2007, Egypt
- Organizing Training Course on “Integrated Management of Ground Water”, 8-10 Nov 2005, Sharm Elshikh
- Organizing Training of Trainers Workshop and preparing module on “Integrated Water Resources Management”, 14-18 May 2005, Kuwait
- ToT “ International Training Course on Local Water Management” 3-8 May 2005
The Centre for Environment and Development for the Arab Region and Europe (CEDARE) is hosting an international training course on local water management. The course is being organized by CEDARE in collaboration with the International Network for Capacity Building in Integrated Water Resources Management (Cap-Net/UNDP), the Egyptian Water Partnership (EWP), the Nile Basin Capacity Building Network (NBCBN), the International Water and Sanitation Centre (IRC), and the Natural Resources Institute (NRI). The course will take place from 3 to 8 May 2005 at the CEDARE premises in Heliopolis, Cairo.
The course will include five sessions each has a main theme which are:
- Introduction to local level IWRM and planning cycles
- Water resources assessment and stakeholders
- Visions and scenarios
- Capacity building action
The course will include a Field Trip to Fayoum to practice the concepts and some tools in the analysis of a real life case
- “Environmental Impact Assessment of Groundwater Development Projects” 8-10 April 2005 Sharm El-Sheikh
The training course was held on April 8 – 10 2005, and was funded by the Islamic Development Bank (IDB) and organized by the Center of Environment and Development for Arab Region and Europe (CEDARE). To address and clarify the environmental impact Assessment of groundwater development projects. The training course includes presentations from Egypt, Libya, Sudan, Saudi Arabia, andSyria.
- The launching event of “Water Awareness Campaign for Children” 22 March 2005, Under the auspices of Her Excellency Mrs. Suzanne Mubarak First Lady of Egypt
On the occasion of the World Water Day on 22 March 2005, and the beginning of the UN Water Decade (2005-2010) the Egyptian Water Partnership (EWP) was honored to launch the “Water Awareness Campaign for Children” under the auspices of Her Excellency Mrs. Suzanne Mubarak First Lady of Egypt. The campaign launching event was hosted by Sheraton Royal Gardens Hotel.
The main objectives of the campaign are to increase the children awareness and knowledge on the following issues:
- Egypt’s water resources and relationship with riparian countries
- Water scarcity and means for water conservation
- Water pollution and means for water quality protection
The first phase of the campaign will be extended over a period of 6 months starting March of 2005 and would cover the Governorates of Greater Cairo – Alexandria – Quena
The campaign will be carried out in partnership with the Ministry of Water Resources and Irrigation (MWRI), Ministry of State for Environmental Affairs (Green Corner), Center ofEnvironment and Development for Arab region and Europe (CEDARE), United Nations Development Program (UNDP) and Integrated Care Society (IDRC).
The Launching Event was inaugurated by H.E. Dr. Mahmoud AbuZeid, Minister of Water Resources and Irrigation, H.E. Dr. Ahmed El Goueli, President, Egyptian Water Partnership, H.E Dr. Nadia Makram Eibed Excutive Director Center of Environment and Development for Arab region and Europe (CEDARE), Mrs. Farida El Ridi, Secretary General, Integrated Care Society, Mr. Antonio Vigilanti, Resident Representative, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), H. E. Mr. Tjeard De Zwaan, Ambassador of the Netherlands and Dr. Sayed Khalil, Director of Egyptian Environmental Affairs Agency represents H.E. Eng. Maged George, Minister of State for Environmental Affairs.
The Event’s program started with a presentation of “Water Campaign for Children Program” presented by Dr. Khaled AbuZeid, Managing Director Egyptian Water Partnership followed by a play “A Drop of water called Meema” (by EWP & Nefertari School), next the Ministry of Water Resources and Irrigation introduced the “Children’s Water Museum”. After that, a presentation by (Lycée Français School), subsequently the distribution of presents for winners of the Children’s Drawing Competition by (Ministry of Water Resources and Irrigation), next presenting “A Drop of Water called Meema” (Children’s book) then Alam Simsim and Water Conservation show and finally (A song by Mohamed Tharwat) called “Partners in Conserving Water”.
Designing and printing a series of awareness materials for the campaign, having the same main character of the campaign a drop of water called “Meema” which includes an awareness booklet comprising different messages for water conservation and protection “A Drop of Water Called Meema”, coloring book “Color with Meema”, and intellectual games “Play with Meema”, and a puzzle.
All the above-mentioned materials were distributed to all invitees (about 250 invitees) in addition to the EWP posters and the EWP first three Newsletters.
- Integrated Water Resources Management training course, 16-17 March 2005 >>Read More
The training course was held on September 16th – 17th2005, which was hosted by the Center of Environment and Development for Arab Region and Europe (CEDARE). To address and clarify the role of participation in implementing of integrated Water resources management aiming to magnify the social, economic, and environmental benefits for water usage. The training course includes 11 presentations presented by an elite of professors and experts in the field of IWRM.
The topics featured in the presentations were IWRM principles, IWRM and the Environment, IWRM and Agriculture, Telemetry, A tool for supporting IWRM, Participation Dimension in IWRM, Gender issues and IWRM, Water Demand Management, Irrigated Irrigation Improvement and Managing Project, IWRM and Water Supply and Sanitation, National Water Resources Plan of Egypt and finally IWRM in the International Agenda.
The workshop was attended by about 25 participants from young professionals working in the water sector; i.e. government, academia and research centers, end users, and civil society.
- CEDARE contributed for the third year in the Training Course on “Environmental Impact Assessment Decision Support System” (CEDARE – EIADSS) for Master Degree Program on Irrigation and Drainage, CHIEAM-IAM, Bari,Italy "2003, 2004, 2005, 2006"
- Training Course on Groundwater Modeling, 1998
- Co-sponsoring the Expert Consultation on Reuse of Low-Quality Water for Sustainable Agriculture, FAO, WHO, IATF, December 15-18, 1997, Amman, Jordan.
- Co-sponsoring the International Conference on Water Management, Salinity And Pollution Control Towards Sustainable Irrigation In the Mediterranean Region, CIHEAM/MAI-B, September 22-26, 1997, Valenzano (Bari)-Italy.
- Training Course on Watershed Analysis Using GIS , July 1-3, 1997, Cairo-Egypt. >>Read More
The objective of this training course was to introduce water management and environmental professionals in the region to the latest development in the use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) in watershed analysis. The course was attended by 22 participants from selected countries in the region where watershed analysis was of main concern. Participating countries included Algeria, Djibouti, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, and Yemen. Instructors from the Center for Research in Water Resources at the University of Texas at Austin (USA) presented the use of GIS in calculating regional soil water balance, surface water balance, and in the spatial analysis of surface terrain, groundwater and water quality modeling. An introduction to Arcview version 3 along with the spatial analyst module was given. The participants also were provided with hands-on computer training on all these applications. The participants were provided with two CD Roms, the GISHydro 97 CD ROM and a Digital Elevation Model CD-ROM for CEDARE's Region. Countries that did not have the Arcview software were provided with Arcview Version 2.0 to be able to run all the GIS hydrological models included on the GISHydro 97 CD-ROM. Internet Sources for GIS hydrological models and required regional data were also presented. Training material on the subject was also compiled.
- Co-Sponsoring the Regional Workshop on Technologies of Wastewater Treatment and Reuse, UNEP, The Arabian Gulf University, ACSAD, and the Ministry of Housing, Municipalities, and Environmental Affairs of Bahrain, June 2-4, 1997, Bahrain.
- Regional Seminar on the Use of Decision Support Systems in Water Resources Management, October 28-30, 1996, Damascus-Syria.Task force
- Meeting on the Regional Programme for Sustainable Development of the Nubian Sandstone Aquifer, March 11-12, 1996, Cairo-Egypt.
- Workshop on Water Harvesting Techniques, October 22-24, 1995, Tunis-Tunisia.
- Training Course in Wastewater Treatment & Reuse, July 1-10, 1995, Amman-Jordan.
- Regional Seminar on Options & Strategies for Freshwater Development & Utilization in Selected Arab Countries, June 26-28, 1995, Amman-Jordan.
- Workshop on Development of the Nubian Sandstone Aquifer, April 17-18, 1995, Cairo-Egypt.
- Seminar on Potable Water Management, June 22-24, 1994, Rabat-Morocco.
- Workshop on Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) of Hydrological Projects, December 20-22, 1993, Amman-Jordan.
- Seminar on Mass Media, Water and Development, October 25-28, 1993, Cairo-Egypt.
- Seminar on Freshwater Quality and Efficiency: Optimizing Sustainable Beneficial Uses in Arab Countries, October 17-18, 1993, Cairo-Egypt
- CEDARE receives Arab Water Council Platinum Sponsor Award, 2010.
- Member of the SAC (Scientific Advisory Council).
- Connecting Deltas Movie on Climate Change & IUWM
- Member, EUWI Ground Water Working Group.
- Member, EUWI Transboundary Water Working Group.
- Member, Mediterranean Commission for Sustainable Development
- Technical Secretariat, North African Ministries’ Council on Water (NAMCOW).
- Team leader, Nile Basin Decision Support System Conceptual Design (Nile Basin Initiative. World Bank)
- Establishment of a framework for interstate cooperation among riparian Nubian Aquifer Countries.
- Member, Arab Water Council (AWC) Board of Governors
- Member, AWC Executive Committee.
- Member, AWC Treasurer and continued to host
- AWC Interim Technical Secretariat.
- Member, Scientific Board of AWC Journal
- Member, Board of Arab Healthy Water Association (AHWA)
- Member, AWC/UNDP Advisory Group
- Member, Advisory Committee of Joint Arab/German Master of Science Program on Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM).
- Regional Centre for e-learning in Meteorology, Hydrology and Water Resources, during the International Experts Meeting in Nanjing, China.
- Member in the IUCN/WESCANA Advisory Board of the regional project on “Systematic Integration of Sectoral Networks for sustainable Freshwater Management at West/Central Asia and North Africa” funded by the Italian Cooperation Program
- CEDARE participated in the formulation of regional programme on Global Climate Observation Systems (GCOS) (A Climate Change Monitoring Mechanism on Water and Others).
- Member of the Experts Group to develop “Guidelines for Inter-Basin Water Transfers for Policy Makers in Africa”.
- Member of the Consultative Group to develop “Mechanisms for Monitoring and Evaluation of the Water Sector in Africa”.
- Regional Network of Wastewater Reuse.
- Establishment and hosting of the Egyptian Water Partnership (EWP).
- Mediterranean Water Network (MWN).
- Water Demand Management Research Network (WDMRN) for the Middle East and North Africa Region.
- Member in the Executive Board of the Arab Healthy Water Association.
- CEDARE is a Member in the Steering Committee for the Eastern Desert Project.
- Member in the Partnership Council of the Global Water Partnership – Mediterranean.
- Member in the Africa Water Task force
- Member in the Arab Water Council
- Member in the Ground Water Task Force affiliated to the EU
- Member in GEF Steering Committee for Grant Programs
- Member in GEF Steering Committee For Small Grant Programs
- Member in the Task Force of Water Resources Assessment of Nile Basin
- Member in the National Water Resources Planning Committee to establish a monitoring and evaluation unit within the Ministry of Water Resources and Irrigation.
- Member, Governing Board, Regional Centre for Training and Water Studies (RCTWS).
- Member, Scientific Advisory Council, SPLASH European Programme
- Primary School Presentations on Water for World Water Day, 1996, Egypt, Lebanon.
- Design & Broadcasting of Television Contests on General Knowledge on Water, 1996, Egypt.
- Design and Distribution of Posters for the World Water Day, March 22nd,1996. (distributedinternationally).
- Publishing water resources articles in CEDARE bimonthly Chronicles. (distributed internationally
Egyptian Water Partnership News Letters
- Publishing 7 editions of the Egyptian Water Partnership News Letters
- Production of a Cassette Tape for the Water Awareness Campaign for Children, its contents:
- Water Song, Water instructions.
- Meema Book, Meema Coloring Book, Meema Play Script
- Play with Meema
- Collect with Meema
- Production of a Video CD for the Water Awareness Campaign for Children, its contents: Meema
- Play, Bakar, Water instructions
- Training Course on (CEDARE – EIADSS) for Master Degree Program on Irrigation and Drainage, CHIEAM-IAM, Bari, Italy, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Training on EIA for irrigation projects in collaboration with Cairo University, 05/10/2001-08/10/2001
- Environmental Impact Assessment of the Southern Valley Project, Egypt, 01/12/1998-01/12/1999, Ministry of Water Resources & Irrigation, Egypt
- Technical Assistance to Syria on Studying the Groundwater/Sea Water Intrusion Problem in Syria, 1997 – 1998
Based on the request of the Syrian Ministry of Environmental Affairs for technical assistance on the seawater intrusion problem in Syria, CEDARE together with the Ministry composed a proposal for this study in 1997. Upon recommendations of this proposal, a detailed study was conducted. CEDARE continued its support by co-sponsoring this study.
The study incorporated identification of the delineation of a pilot area for the monitoring of groundwater/seawater interaction behavior, as well as a geologic and hydrogeologic survey of the area. It also included compilation of well information and chemical analysis of water samples. A report of the study findings and recommendations was prepared.
- Technical Assistance to the Lake Nasser Development Authority of Egypt for the Lake Environmental Protection
Upon request from the Lake Nasser Development Authority of Egypt for a Technical Assistance on the Lake Environmental Protection, CEDARE co-sponsored a study for the environmental management of Abu-Simbel as a pilot study area for Lake Nasser. The study included a GIS for the various activities in the area as well as the proposed activities. Recommendations for the environmental protection of Lake Nasser were provided to the Authority
- Technical Assistance to the Information and Decision Support Center of the Egyptian Cabinet for a Flood Risk Assessment Study in Wadi Qena
The Information and Decision Support Center of the Egyptian Cabinet of Ministers requested technical assistance on a flood risk assessment study. CEDARE sponsored this study for a pilot area in Wadi Qena. This study aimed at reducing damage to properties and loss of lives associated with flash flood occurrences. In this study, landuse and soil characteristics maps of Wadi Qena were interpreted. A digital elevation model and a hydrological model of the area were also developed. The study served as a step towards the development of a regional risk map, which considers reduction of damage from unfavorable natural phenomena.
- Regional Programme for the Development of a Regional Strategy for the Utilization of the NubianSandstone Aquifer System (NSAS)
CEDARE is the executing agency of the above mentioned Programme which is funded by IFAD. This Regional Project is funded at a budget of US$ 700,000 for two years 1997/1998 and 1998/1999 aiming at developing a regional strategy for the utilization of the Nubian Sandstone Aquifer. A comprehensive progress report of the Programme is available separately.
- Technical Assistance to the Model United Nations (International Court of Justice) of the American University of Cairo on "Issues About Dams With Special Reference to the Gabcikovo-Nagymaros Project on the Danube River", December, 1996, Cairo-Egypt.
- Drinking Water Treatment at the Village Level 01/01/1995-01/01/1995, EEAA, Egypt
- Technical Assistance to Egypt on the Formulation of a National Strategy for Potable Water inEgypt, January, 1995, Cairo-Egypt.
The project aimed to establish a network in the Mediterranean that includes scientific institutions, governments, NGOs, Small and Medium Business Enterprises, and regional and international organizations, to exchange expertise, information, knowledge, latest technologies, lessons learned and success stories in the field of water resources management, with an emphasis on decision support tools in rational policy making in IWRM.
Disseminating Knowledge on the applications and methodologies of IWRM, and promote the development of decision support systems to create rational water resources plans that serve the achievement of development goals in the Mediterranean
Type of services provided:
- Exchange of expertise on IWRM on the Mediterranean level
- Assessment of decision support tools for IWRM in Mediterranean countries
- Close ties between science and policies in the field of IWRM
- Basin-Green and Watercourse- Blue Approaches to Transboundry Waters, paper, Khaled AbuZeid, June 2012
- Monitoring and Evaluation for Water in North Africa MEWINA Solutions, paper, Khaled AbuZeid, May 2012
- Sixth World Water Forum (WWF 6) Target 3: Conduct regional dialogues on the 1997 UN Convention on international watercourses and the UN framework on Trans-boundary aquifers, and compile points of agreement and objections for wider consensus by 2015, in cooperation with AMCOW, Marseille, France, March 2012.
- Sustainable Development of Non-renewable Transboundary Groundwater: Strategic planning for the Nubian Sandstone Aquifer System (NSAS), Journal paper, AWC , Volume 2, July 2011, , (K. AbuZeid and M. Elrawady), 2011.
- Integrated Resource Planning for Alexandria, Egypt, AbuZeid, K., Elrawady, M. ,Retamal, M.L, White, S., and Turner, A. 2011, IWA Efficient 2011 conference, Amman, Jordan, March 2011.
- Egypt Water Efficient Report 2030, ECS, 2011.
- Water Challenges in Egypt “Possible Private Sector Contributions” American Chamber of Commerce CSR Committee Meeting, 17/2/2010.
- Socio-Economic and Environmental aspects of Water Management in the 21st Century: Trends, Challenges and Prospects for the MENA Region. September 2009, Helsinki.
- Alexandria IUWM: Between Reality and Illusion (K. AbuZeid and M. Elrawady), SWITCH 4th scientific meeting, Delft, Netherlands, 4-7 October, 2009.
- MDG achievement in the Arab Region: Status, challenges, and opportunities, submitted to the 5th world water forum 2009.
- Writing CEDARE's contribution in the report titled " Research with Europe: Egypt" published by the European Union.
- Providing input for an article written for the Wharton International University newspaper about water accounting and water security.
- Egypt 2050: Strategies for the future.
- Integrated Water Resources Management & Water Demand Management Opportunities in the Arab Region, 1st Arab Water Forum held on 16-19 November 2008 in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- Paper on “Green Water and Effective Legislation for Tranboundary Water Management”, Water Dossier, Mid Year book, 2008.
- Paper on “Water Rights and Equity in the Arab Region”, Khaled M Abu-Zeid & Mohamed H Elrawady, 2008.
- Technical report on “Groundwater Management in the Mediterranean and the Water Framework Directive” in cooperation with the EU Water Initiative as a Joint Mediterranean EUWI/WFD process.
- Report on “Assessment of the Achievement of Water MDGs in North African Countries”.
- Potenial for water savings & reuse in the Arab Region by Khaled Abu-Zeid, Amr Abdel-Megeed, Omar Elbadawy.
- “Local Water Conflicts Management Mechanisms” in selected MENA countries” (CEDARE/WB), 2007.
- "GIS-Based Water Resources Information System: A Regional DSS of IWRM", in r Saving in Mediterranean Agriculture & Future Needs Conference, 2007.
- Paper on “Impact of Fluoride in Drinking Water” in the second AHWA/CEDARE conference on “Healthy Water is the Right for all: Healthy Water for Healthy Citizens”, 2007.
- Reviewed the World Bank “MENA Water Development Report: Making the Most of Scarcity”, 2007.
- Challenges of Implementing IWRM in the Arab Region by Ahmed Wagdy and Khaled AbuZeid, WWF4, Mexico City, Mexico, 2006.
- Report on “The Achievements of the Water MDGS in North Africa Countries”, GWP-Med, 2006.
- Role of EWP in Water Conflicts,2006 (English).
- “Report on Environment and Water cycle in the Mediterranean”, NOSTRUM-DSS project, 2006.
- “Multi-Sectoral Uses of Water & Approaches to DSS in Water Management in the NOSTRUM Partner Countries of the Mediterranean”, 2006.(English).
- The Forth World Water Forum 2006, 16-22 March 2006, Mexico. (English).
EWP for Local Actions on Pollution Abatement and Public Awareness, (EWP) [Convener: AWC, MWRI].
- Pioneering Actions in Managing the Transboundary Nubian Sandstone Groundwater Aquifer, (CEDARE) [Convener: UNEP, AMCOW].
- Status of IWRM Plans Development in the Arab Region, (Arab Water Council, CEDARE), [Convener: UNESCO].
- Assessment of Green Water in the Arab Region: An Approach to Evaluating Virtual Water, (CEDARE), [Convener: CAU, AWC].
- “Integrated Water Resources Management and Role of the Egyptian Water Partnership”, Aqua Trust, 2006. (Arabic).
- Articles in CEDARE's Bimonthly Chronicles. (English/Arabic).
- Water for the 21st Century: Vision to Action. Framework for Action for North Africa, 2002.
- Regional Strategy for the Utilization of the Nubian Sandstone Aquifer system 2001.
- Pioneering Action in Managing the Transboundry Nubian Sandstone Groundwater Aquifer, Khaled Abu-Zeid and Amr Abdel-Meguid.
- Nubian Sandstone Aquifer Response under Regional Development,Annex 2, Abu-Zeid and, Amr Abdel-Meguid, Omar Elbadawy.
- Nubian Sandstone Aquifer Response under Regional Development,Annex 1, Abu-Zeid and Amr Abdel-Meguid, Omar Elbadawy.
- State of the Environment Reports: A step for Environmentally-Sound Decision-Making in Arab African Countries, Workshop on Environmental Information Systems for Decision Making, CEDARE, December 1-3,1997, Kuwait. (English).
- Proper Water Resources Assessment: An Opportunity For Conflict Resolution In International River Basins, 9th IWRA World Water Congress, September 1-6, 1997, Montreal-Canada. (English).
- Proposal for a Study on Sea Water Intrusion in Syria, July, 1997, Damascus-Syria. (English).
- Lectures and Exercises for The Regional Training Course on Watershed Analysis Using GIS, July 1-3, 1997, Cairo-Egypt. (English).
- Proceedings of the Regional Seminar on Options & Strategies for Freshwater Development & Utilization in Selected Arab Countries, Amman-Jordan 1995, July, 1997. (English).
- Regional Study on Water Harvesting Guidelines in Selected Arab Countries, 1995-1997. (English).
- Recent Trends & Developments, Reuse of Wastewater in Agriculture, Environment 97 Conference on Environmental Management & Technologies, February 15-17, 1997, Cairo-Egypt. (English).
- Information-Based Decision Support Systems for Water Resources Management, Workshop on Integrated Environmental Information Systems, CEDARE, January 5-7, 1997, Cairo-Egypt. (English).
- Proceedings of the Regional Seminar on the use of Decision Support Systems in Water Resources Management, October 28-30, 1996, Damascus-Syria. (English).
- Introduction to Decision Support Systems in Water Resources Management, Seminar on the Use of Decision Support Systems in Water Resources Management, CEDARE, October 28-30, 1996, Damascus-Syria.(English).
- Expert Systems: A Step-Up from Decision Support to Decision Making Systems, Seminar on the Use of Decision Support Systems in Water Resources Management, CEDARE, October 28-30, 1996, Damascus-Syria.(English).
- Limitations & Environmental Impacts of Water Savings Programmes, Workshop on Water Savings & Sustainability of Irrigated Agriculture in the Mediterranean-16th ICID Congress, September, 1996, Cairo-Egypt. (English).
- Comparative Economical Study on Potable Water Treatment Technologies in Egypt, 1996, Egypt. (Arabic).
- Regional Programme for the the Sustainable Development of the Nubian Sandstone Aquifer. Phase One – Revision I, 1996.(English).
- Synthesis Reports of the Programme for the Development and Utilization of the Nubian Sandstone Aquifer. (English/Arabic/French).
- Country Reports of the Programme for the Development & Utilization of the Nubian Sandstone Aquifer (Egypt – Libya – Sudan).(English).
- Towards a National Strategy for Potable Water in Egypt. (English).
- Proceedings of the Regional Seminar on Freshwater Quality and Efficiency: Optimizing Sustainable Beneficial Use in Selected Arab Countries, 1993. (English).
- L’Eau dans le Bassin Méditérranéen: Situation et Prospective. (Arabic).
- Towards a Regional Programme for the Development and Utilization of the Nubian Sandstone Aquifer: Institutional Aspects.(English).
- Towards a Regional Programme for the Development and Utilization of the Nubian Sandstone Aquifer: Socio-Economic Aspects.(English).