Under the framework of SRI project, the Centre of Environment and Development in the Arab Region and Europe (CEDARE) in coordination with the Ministry of Communication & Information Technology (MCIT) convened the overall ninth steering committee meeting and the fourth steering committee meeting of the second phase of the project. The meeting was held on the 24th of February 2022 and was held virtually.
The Steering Committee meeting was attended by all the partners of the project ranging from the government representatives of the Ministry of Communication & Information Technology (MCIT), the Ministry of Trade & Industry, Ministry of Finance and the International Partners of the project from the Swiss Embassy, World Resources Forum, SOFIES, and CEDARE.
The objective of the Steering Committee meeting was to discuss the following issues:
- The key highlights and achievements of SRI II in Egypt in the first half of 2022
- The status of activities of each outcome until mid 2022
- The planned activities for the second half of the year 2022.
Eng. Khaled El Attar, the head of SRI steering committee and the Deputy Minister of MCIT highlighted the work focus of SRI welcomed the participants and commenced the meeting with an update on the work under process on the digital transformation in several areas like health and education that resulted in an increase on the demand for hardware and the importance of end of life is becoming a priority emphasizing the importance of this project.
- The decision taken and an MOU was signed between the Ministry of Communication & information Technology (MCIT) and the Electronic Research Institute (ERI) to establish the collection center at ERI for MCIT’s equipment as a pilot project to be later upscaled.
- The contract between CEDARE & ERI was singed to commence with E-Khorda II programme to support the entrepreneurs and existing recyclers.
- The finalization of the Refurbishment & E-waste Management curriculum to be part of the syllabus within MCIT’s new University “Egypt Informatics University”.
- The inclusion in planning of the Agreement with MP production on upscaling the collection center & the assessment of engagement videos on e-waste