The “Regional Forum on Promoting Better Vehicular Fuel Quality and Fuel Economy Policies for the Arab countries” was held on 24-25th November 2014 at the League of Arab States headquarters, Cairo, Egypt. The Forum supported by the League of Arab States (LAS), the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) – Partnership for Clean Fuels and Vehicles (PCFV), the Global Fuel Economy Initiative (GFEI), the Centre for Environment and Development for the Arab Region and Europe (CEDARE). The participants were representatives of the government, private sector, non-governmental organizations, and international organizations.
The Forum discussed the current status of clean fuels and vehicles in the Arab countries, the main challenges and opportunities, and identify key strategies needed to enhance cleaner and more efficient fuels and vehicles in the region. The Forum was an active platform for sharing international and regional success stories and lessons learnt about fuel economy and fuel quality practices, leading to cleaner air. The Forum included a dialogue on the proposed strategy for reducing fuel sulfur content and improving fuel economy in the Arab countries.
- Fuel Quality Roadmap: Arab Sulfur Reduction Strategy (Draft) – Arab_Sulfur_Roadmap_Arabic or Arab_Sulfur_Roadmap_eng
- Fuel Economy Case Studies (Draft): Bahrain, Morocco, Tunisia, and Egypt
- Meeting agenda: English
- Meeting report: English – Arabic
- Global Overview on Cleaner Fuels and Vehicles, UNEP
- Development of Cleaner Fuel Production in Arab Refineries, Organization of Arab Petroleum Exporting Countries (OAPEC)
- Promoting Cleaner Fossil Fuels in the Transport Sector in the Arab Region, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for West Asia (ESCWA)
- Case study on Fuel Quality Roadmap for Asia, Asian Clean Fuels Association (ACFA)
- Political and Market Conditions Delay Uniform Approach for Fuel Quality, Hart Energy
- Proposed Arab Region Strategy for Sulphur Reduction in Fuel, CEDARE
- Introduction to Fuel Economy, CEDARE
- The GFEI Tools: An overview of the tools available to policymakers, UNEP
Fuel economy Case Studies in the Arab Region